Hello!


Hello!

My name is Alex.

I am 31 years old. I have lived a fun and adventurous life full of love. This life has not been free of tragedy, suffering, and loss. However, I would say I have had ample reason to be happy and to feel fulfilled.

And yet, I have had a very difficult time having that.

Depression, anxiety and overwhelming frustration have accompanied me at every turn. I felt like I was not equipped to handle the simple act of being conscious. I felt like I was bad at life. This feeling was solidified in adulthood when I couldn't seem to handle having a job and maintaining a home. It didn't matter how hard I tried and tried and tried.

I hit a breaking point 2 years ago. I just shut down. I was thankful that my job at the time had resources I could use to seek help, and I did use them.

Eventually, I was diagnosed with bipolar ii and ADHD.

This has been a revelation!

It's never been that I was bad at life. It's just that I work differently than most other people.

In navigating life, my map is different from most. My roads are marked differently. I need to take a few detours. But, it's still a map that will take me to my destination. I just didn't know how to read it. I may have even been holding it upside down. Now, I'm learning how to read my map.

So, why am I starting this blog now?

Well, there are a few reasons:

  1. To document my journey and progress
  2. To maybe help other feel less alone
  3. To share any resources I may find
I am not a mental health expert. Nor am I a doctor. But, I do have some helpful things I've learned from experience. If you ask for advice or help, please do not take offense if I redirect you to another resource. Know that I really want to help you, and the best way I can do that is to point you in the right direction. Think of it this way: if you're badly injured and you need my help, I probably can't fix your injury but I can definitely drive you to the hospital.

So, there you have it.

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment and share your thoughts.

Comments

Popular Posts